Sunday, June 5, 2011

#110: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - A Little Slice of Nerd Heaven

The Best Place to Give Your Library Card a Workout

I love books. I mean, I really love them. I love to look at them. I love to buy them. I love to read them. And I really love to be the very first person to open them. Because I love books so much, I also love libraries. And, as far as public libraries go, I have never in my life seen one better than the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh. Not only is there a large collection of books, movies, and CDs, but they have made it sooo easy to use them! Anyone with a library card can go online and request the items they want. The library contacts you when they are ready for pickup and you pick them up! If, however, you are one who likes to browse the stacks, the Carnegie library offers a "self-checkout" similar to the grocery store (only this version actually is quicker than waiting for a staffer to do it). 
Recently, my friend Ms. Kelsi Bridgeman (née Robinson) suggested I read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. When I failed to respond to her tweet, she e-mailed me a recommendation from Goodreads.com. She meant business. Anyway, it was this book that I requested through the library's interlibrary loan. It took only a few days before I had an email telling me the book was waiting for me. I walked from Pitt's campus to the library, picked up my book, and returned to my apartment in about 20 minutes. It's that easy. So go check out the library. I promise you won't be disappointed.

- Emily

PS - I started "The Help" this past weekend. It's pretty good. I suggest you give it a try.

28 down, 337 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment